  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 09:19:53 -0500

>On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 10:52:17PM -0800, Chris Grigg wrote:
>> loop to execute the event -- but I don't get why all events need to
>> also have a UST time.  As somebody or other has been claiming.
>
>I think that if there is a way to say "What's the UST time for sample X?"
>that should be enough, right?

yes, but you can't do this in general. there is no "mapping" between
UST and a sample clock - all you can do is to ask what the UST time is
at a certain time when you know the sample clock value. then you have
to pair those two times together, forever. thats why *every* event
needs UST time associated with it. you cannot infer UST time from any
other piece of information.

remember, UST time is running on its own clock. you have no idea
whatsoever how fast it moves.

--p