  • From: "Paul Kellett" <paul.kellett@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 10:31:54 +0100

> 3. How bad would it be to say that musical clocking goes away when
> you press stop?  (I'm asking, not trying to be snide.)  Changing time
> signature and tempo while stopped is kind of an odd concept, as the
> conductor's baton is no longer moving...

Thinking of a plug-in that plays a drum loop in sync with the song,
when the transport is running the drum loop should line up with the
bars and beats, but when the transport is not running and the user
wants to audition the drum loop, it still needs to know the tempo
and time signature, but the loop should probably start immediately
from beat 1, not line up with a "still running in the background"
musical clock.

So:

Tempo and time signature need to exist when the transport is not
running, and plug-ins need to know about changes.

I don't care if musical time stops or keeps running after the
user presses [stop] so long as the plug-in knows if the transport
is running or not, so it can choose to ignore musical time when
stopped.

Paul.