  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 22:09:58 -0500

>>they *never* agree (more or less). to repeat: UST is there to act as a
>>3rd party mediator when a plugin needs to sync a time derived from
>>GMPI's master "sample clock" with another non-GMPI streaming sample
>>clock (e.g. video vertical retrace clock)
>
>Thanks.  Sorry to be dense... can you walk us (maybe just me) through
>a concrete example of what a plug would actually do with a UST that
>arrives in an event?  Also is this only useful for clock event
>streams (like the event represents a tach pulse or the leading edge
>of the hammer in a vertical retrace interval, etc.)?  Would I ever
>use the UST time if the event were a note?

no.

it would be used if you had a plug that was (say) playing video (say,
to some external high-res sooper-dooper moni
tor, or maybe even over a
network or something). the plugin would know the UST associated with a
given retrace start. it could then check the current audio transport
time for the same UST, and know how much to correct video/audio drift
by.

nothing new here - i am sure premiere et al. do this all the time.

you just can't do this correctly without the "neutral 3rd party", and
UST is the best candidate for that anyone has told me about.

--p

ps. and many thanks to martijn sipkema for years of education about
    this :)