  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 20:53:45 -0800

On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 05:03:16PM -0800, Chris Grigg wrote:
> If all the plug cares about is tempo, and the plug has already
> received the tempo info (either via a tempo control or by watching
> the interval between incoming clocks and then freewheeling) in effect
> at the moment when Stop was pressed (and it knows where the last
> downbeat was), then the plug doesn't need to continue to receive any
> 'musical timeline' input in order to keep doing whatever it's already
> doing at that tempo.  (This assumes that the audio timeslice
> processing continues after Stop is pressed, and the plug clocks its
> internal time off the sample pull itself.)   It would only need

Is drift an issue?  The longer a plugin tracks this on it's own, the farther
from the true value it may get?

My original thought was to make this all easier by being able to actually
track ticks directly.  If the plugin knows there are 100 ticks per beat, and
it has been configured for 3 beats, all it needs to do is count 100 tick
events.  If time warps, the tick counter keeps rolling.  If transport
stops, the tick counter keeps rolling.  Maybe that idea is just not worth
it.

> >I'm starting to get a better picture of what I mean. :)  The transport
> >controller manages transport start/stop/pause, playback location, and maybe
> >shuttle speed.  Most plugins won't care about transport state (except maybe
> >shuttle speed...).  So I don't see any reason to disallow it anymore..
>
> Great Day in the Mornin'!  An accord!

You make it sound like I am inconvincable?  I freely admit that most
everyone here knows more about the state of things than I do.  I'm just an
architecture guy and a music nut who isn't happy with existing sequencers :)

Tim