  • From: Chris Grigg <gmpi-public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 15:40:15 -0800

>Speaking of multiple time coordinates that could conflict, can
someone remind me again why an event needs both sample clock and UST?
What does the plug do when they don't agree, pick whichever one it
like better?

they *never* agree (more or less). to repeat: UST is there to act as a 3rd party mediator when a plugin needs to sync a time derived from GMPI's master "sample clock" with another non-GMPI streaming sample clock (e.g. video vertical retrace clock)

Thanks. Sorry to be dense... can you walk us (maybe just me) through a concrete example of what a plug would actually do with a UST that arrives in an event? Also is this only useful for clock event streams (like the event represents a tach pulse or the leading edge of the hammer in a vertical retrace interval, etc.)? Would I ever use the UST time if the event were a note?

-- Chris G.