  • From: Chris Grigg <gmpi-public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 13:45:47 -0800

Hi

 Only one transport controller per graph. if plugins want their own
 "play" or "stop" buttons that are independent of the rest of the
 graph, they can have them.

yeah, I agree.

My question is why should the GMPI spec enforce _that_ when plugins can only see/use one transport controler anyway?

It comes down to the event record. If the musical time field has a musical transport controller ID, there's no need for this limit.

I hope you dont enfoce a GMPIGraph class that all hosts will need to implement
a la AUGraph.

Last I heard, this was kind of the idea, wasn't it? There was going to be a reference host, any rate.

The VST spec doesnt dictate there should only be one controler per graph.
It doesnt even talk about it! That didnt stop us from implementing this feature
in our host without any form of "spec-hack".

Yeah, let's avoid the need for spec-hacking. Support it in the data structures & APIs, make it general. Assumptions like 'there should only be one' feel like cheating.

-- Chris G.