  • From: Chris Grigg <gmpi-public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 17:14:21 -0800

> Yes, a critical question is how offline processing is handled within a
 graph. ie Can a plug request to simply grab the host's audio selection
 for offline processing, without going through the rest of the graph?

 For special purpose plugs like I'm proposing, it might be that the user
 simply has to insure (or the plug itself checks) that it is in a graph by
 itself, to avoid the possible complications?

It's not just this example, I think most offline plugins need to be run solo. If you have several, you apply each to the entire song, one at a time (multiple passes). Offline plugins may have 'random' access to the audio, 'lookahead', change the tempo map etc. You can't stream from one offline plugin to another (in general).

Best Regards,
Jeff

A different perspective, FWIW: One of the Nokia guys I work with sometimes says "Non-realtime is just a special case of realtime." In the absence of long-lookahead, as 'realtime' GMPI has been proposed so far, I think that's probably right. So if people have really been meaning 'long look-ahead' when they've been saying 'offline,' can we consider changing our terminology by starting to call that 'long look-ahead,' or something similar?

-- Chris G.