  • From: Chris Grigg <gmpi-public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 17:14:47 -0800

Tim said:

Regular clocking of tempo/beat may be a different story.  It has been argued
against, and I am ok with that.  What I originally thought might be useful
would be for a regular periodic event to be sent (whether transport is
stopped or paused or playing).  Plugins could use that clocking to track
progression of music time.  It has problems, though.  It forces the host to
do things on tempo, instead of immediately.  If I pause my sequencer then
hit play again, chances are that I want it to play NOW and not at the next
bar of the imaginary conductor.  That may not always be true, but I think
that is a host issue.

I agree that this is totally a host issue. A live-played DJ host app might want to run in a constant-beat-clock mode, whereas in a recording studio a (sorry) MIDI+audio sequencer that did that would drive you nuts and would be hated very quickly.

-- Chris G.