  • From: "Ron Kuper" <RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 15:51:54 -0500

>Can ReWire support varispeed?

Well, I actually have the ReWire SDK, but haven't looked at it yet. I
was hoping someone else here would know details! :)
<<<

ReWire's tempo model is somewhat similar to VST.   A ReWire device
(synth) is given a struct when it's time for the synth to produce sound.
This struct contains among other things, a tick start time, a sample
size for the buffer, and the tempo in effect for the buffer.  As in VST,
tempo changes sent to a Rewire synth are limited to the buffer size
granularity.

A ReWire synth can also send a "request" for a tempo change as an event
back to the mixer (host).  (The event names in the enum are called
RequestXxxEvent, and tempo is among.)  I think the idea is that the host
may not necessarily honor the request.