  • From: "Koen Tanghe" <koen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 21:50:45 +0100

On Tuesday, February 10, 2004 6:36 PM [GMT+1=CET],
Michael Stauffer <xxxmichael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> This has been discussed.  Do you envision this running only while the
>> transport runs or all the time?
>
> Great, sorry I missed it. I envision this running only while the
> transport runs. Although someone else might need it all the time? Not
> sure.

I also think it is mostly needed while the transport is running.

OTOH, I can also imagine a plugin that allows you to set the tempo of a song
at a certain point by drumming/singing/playing something into an audio input
while the transport has stopped. Use case:
- user opens his GMPI host
- he/she sets up a tempo tracking plugin in his/her project on an audio
track
- user manually plays a short drum loop to set the initial tempo (you can
compare this with "tempo tapping")
- user starts recording
Of course, one could think: just use the tempo slider in the host.
Or also: why do you need this if the plugin follows the tempo anyway...
Well, usually, tempo trackers need a couple of seconds to develop a stable
tempo. Streaming audio analysis usually needs to take into account some past
material before it can say something useful about the now, and this inherent
causality causes some latency...

Koen