[gmpi] Re: Reqs 3.8 Events - ramped events

  • From: David Olofson <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 14:44:03 +0100

On Tuesday 13 January 2004 03.59, Tim Hockin wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 03:55:25PM +1300, Jeff McClintock wrote:
> > I can understand why they did that (so plugins don't need to keep
> > track of ramps, long-term), but it kind of bugs me, the host
> > sending the same ramp over and over. Seems inefficient?
>
> But that means you can jump halfway into a long ramp, and it will
> work, which is why they give you start-time and start-value as well
> as duration and target.
>
> The models we've been bantering about don't allow that.  If you
> jump to some point after the ramp start but before the ramp end,
> you don't see the ramp.

That's a job for control outputs, IMNSHO. Plugins that aren't aware of
song position and such will simply do nothing beyond keeping track of
their own internal state. Sequencers and the like have more work to
do, but nothing they don't have to do anyway.

In short, the information must always available, regradless of the
API. Making a connection should require that the output sends an
initialization control event with the current value. ("Always keep
the connected control input in a defined state", remember?)

BTW, the calculations you need to generate that initialization event
must be done twice per buffer while ramping a control the AU way.

Besides, I think you have to do it after processing *all* input, or
you can't be sure to get the end value right... With a XAP style
event system, you can do *all* processing one sample frame at a time,
if you like.