[gmpi] Re: Reqs 3.8 Events - gesture start/end

  • From: "Jeff McClintock" <jeffmcc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 12:29:58 +1300

Hi Chris,

> what if some other rogue event source (maybe a sequencer track, etc.)
> is also sending events to the very same target, i.e. there's a second
> series of incoming events having no relation to the gesture being
> performed on the live control surface.

I understand that the host will mediate all parameter changes. So if for
example pre-recorded automation is moving a fader, and the user starts
moving that same fader, the host will decide which gets priority.

  So the answer is option A) "Adding a host-side target exclusivity/locking
mechanism to avoid interference with the gesture processing"

>I don't understand about
> the concept of plugs being 'gesture-aware'.

   It's a good question, if the host is handling the gesture, why does the
plugin need to know about gestures?

  I think the answer is: Most plugins won't need gesture info, but for
completeness, it's nice if the plugin has the option (perhaps the plugin is
a wrapper and needs the gesture info), or the plugin itself is some kind of
sequencer and needs to record/send gestures.

( as usual, this is my understanding of things, I may be wrong).

Best Regards,
Jeff