[gmpi] Re: Reqs 3.8 Events - gesture start/end

  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 08:02:54 -0500

>On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 08:37:07 -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
>> however, going a step further, michael reminded me of XY pads. anytime
>> the control device sends two parameters as part of a single message,
>> we have something that is very close to, gestural. consider a simple
>> XY pad. each message it transmits contains 2 pieces of information
>> that could be used to control two parameters independently, yet the
>> message arrives "atomically", so you effectively changing two
>> parameters at the same time. all the same, you can do this with the
>> slider too, just map two parameters to the same control point.
>
>The events would just arrive with the same timestamp, and so be processed
>in the same k-step.

yes, i recognize this. but the parameter setting may be subject to
some level of interpretation by the plugin - it may be that setting
Foo and then setting Bar is different than setting Foo and Bar
simultaneously. Consider the godawful mess with 14 bit MIDI messages,
where you don't know what to do with the first nibble without adding a
timeout to see if the second nibble is coming. By bracketing the
Foo+Bar pair, the plugin can know "ok, Foo is being set now but more
parameter events are coming".

--p