[gmpi] Re: Reqs 3.8 Events - gesture start/end

  • From: Mike Berry <mberry@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 10:09:43 -0700

Tim Hockin wrote:
> Quick update:
>

> * We are nowhere, really with gesture requirements.
>
> I've proposed two different ideas of how it might work. I'm re-posting them
> here, for completeness.

Let me make another proposal:

- There are GMPI defined gesture start and gesture end events. These are just like other events, in that they have timestamps and so on. The value of the gesture event is a 32 bit int ID. Think of these events like note on and off, as GMPI is planning those, just for "controls" instead of "notes".

- There is a host-supplied function GetUniqueGestureID, which a plugin can call if it wants to start a new gesture and it wants a globally-unique ID. Nested hosts simply pass this request upwards.

- Only one gesture can be active on a particular parameter at one time. There is no need for every parameter to have the gesture ID. Unlike notes, there is no need for "gesture polyphony." It is a requirement that the host send a gesture end event prior to sending a second gesture start event.

--
Mike Berry
Adobe Systems