[gmpi] Re: Reqs 3.8

  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 19:40:59 -0500

>OK.  But JUST SUPPOSE that double becomes a reality.  Then all the hosts
>have to handle it themselves.

only if you are correct in your next paragraph:

>> and about double: steve (and others) have already provided a fairly
>> solid explanation of why specifying the data type used to move data
>> *between* plugins has no particular constraints on what data type is
>
>You know it, and I know it, and probably most plug developers know it.  But
>welcome to REALITY.  The market is driven by marketing and buzzwords.  I'll
>bet dollars to dimes that it WILL become industry standard.

i don't like the powerlessness of this attitude. look at who we have
on this list, actively participating (i've never tried a subscription
listing). we have the tech vp (?) of cakewalk, the guy probably
responsible for most of Premiere's interaction with audio (if not much
more), angus from one of primary plugin adapter makers plus lots of
cool plugins, nearly all the more-than-one free/shareware/opensource
plugin authors, some folks from steinberg and at least person from
nokia, analog devices and other important "non-DAW" companies.

now are you telling me that we are going to sit back with this list
and just let this double-wires-is-the-next-big-thing BS take over?
maybe the world really is that gloomy. right now, i don't see it that
way.

double precision plugins are cool. double precision wires are
unnecessary, and if introduced, will merely constitute a new platform
type, just as ARM will today.

--p