[gmpi] Re: Reqs 3.8

  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 17:38:40 -0500

>You've just said BASICALLY the same thing, except you make it the job of
>each host to support it, whereas I suggested it just be built into the
>SDK.
>
>In your view: the plugin exposes its 'platform' or 'datatype'.  The host
>wraps up each 'platform' and recognizes when two unlike platforms are
>juxtaposed.  The host provides the conversion routines.

no. that's not my view at all. the plugin exposes its datatype. if its
wrong, the host rejects it. if some host authors try to be clever,
more power to them, or something.

and about double: steve (and others) have already provided a fairly
solid explanation of why specifying the data type used to move data
*between* plugins has no particular constraints on what data type is
used *within* a plugin. a plugin can still do 100% double math
internally, and a regular desktop-ish-hosted DAW using float will
never need to know. i don't believe that "double for moving data
between plugins" will ever be necessary, and if we're careful (i.e we
repeat the point i'm just quoting slavishly), nobody will ever be able
to claim that they are the Next Big Thing because they support it.

--p