[gmpi] Re: Reqs 3.8

  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 16:23:53 -0500

>> that pretends that multiple sample types in the same graph is a good
>> idea, because it doesn't really help anybody out (it confuses users,
>> creates more work for host developers, and creates a choice for plugin
>> developers which is frequently a bad idea).
>
>It also gives us a way to grow that we otherwise do not have AT ALL.  When
>we need to support double (for marketing or real reasons) we have to break
>GMPI in an incompatible way.  Hosts will have to support both types, for at
>least a while.  And it will hurt.  Designing it in now means that MAYBE we
>can make it hurt less.

this isn't true. we would just define a new platform. anyone could
define a new platform. the point is that all that changes is the
sample type (plus all the host- and plugin-code dedicated to specific
sample types).

       #ifdef .. etc ...

       typedef double GMPISample;

       #endif .. etc ...

a host can market itself as "GMPI Platforms supported: ", and plugin
authors can produce "GMPI Platforms supported: ...."
versions. obviously, some people will try to write hosts that support
multiple platforms at one time. they are welcome to.

>> if we're going to spend time on multiple data types, lets focus on
>> allowing FFT data to be passed around, which i think it *vastly* more
>> useful.
>
>and is allowed by the same scheme you maligned above, I think.

FFT is much harder. it has lots of parameters about which reasonable
people can disagree.

--p