[gmpi] Re: Reqs 3.8

  • From: David Olofson <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 16:43:01 +0100

On Thursday 11 December 2003 16.12, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 03:55:07 +0100, David Olofson wrote:
> > > Hmm... I'm not sure about that.  Usually the binary that wants
> > > float would be targeted to one platform (say PC), while the
> > > other would be targeted to another (mobile).
> >
> > ...except that low end games, multimedia toys and stuff like that
> > often cover the whole range from 486 or Pentium and up. So, you
> > may well encounter integer plugins on a 686 machine, and there's
> > nothing in the binaries that automatically prevent P-II+ float
> > hosts from loading them.
>
> Sure, but in that case the game will be an integer profile host -
> as its targetted at low end machines.

Normally, yes, but unless we actively prevent it, people could load
integer plugins into float hosts and vice versa, resulting in
"mysterious" crashes.

> > Yeah - and provided hosts are really required to check the
> > metadata, the "compatible binaries, incompatible profiles"
> > problem is solved as well. :-)
>
> The host SDK could enfoce it.

Should, I guess...

BTW, how about the SDK and multiple profiles support? Seems like that
would require some hacks to avoid conflicts when linking different
versions of the SDK into the same executable. Anyway, it can be
solved one way or another, if anyone really wants to do it.