[gmpi] Re: Reqs 3.8

  • From: David Olofson <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 15:48:37 +0100

On Thursday 11 December 2003 14.07, Paul Davis wrote:
> >What I actually meant was that one should be able to support float
> > and fixed-point data simultaneously. For reasons already clearly
> > stated by David Olofson, I also don't really like the idea of
> > fixing the data type per processor class. The processor families
> > develop so that float processing that now seems too heavy, may
> > become more viable option later.
>
> surely nobody is suggesting that its impossible to decide whether
> the particular CPU in use is of an earlier generation or not?

Detection lets you decide which code path to use internally in hosts
and plugins, but you can't reliably tell which GMPI profile is in use
by just checking the CPU type. Hosts running on borderline case CPUs
("acceptable" FPU performance) might chose to use either float or
integer samples, based on criteria that plugins cannot possibly be
aware of.

We have to make sure hosts won't load plugins using incompatible GMPI
profiles. "Normal" hosts that for some reason want to run plugins
written for embedded systems can do so, but normally, one would just
refuse to load such plugins.