[gmpi] Re: Reqs 3.6 and 3.7 (was Reqs section 3.6)

  • From: "Martijn Sipkema" <m.j.w.sipkema@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 18:14:45 +0100

Ik think we should. It is much easier to embed a window from a
different process than from the same IMHO.

--ms

From: Paul Davis paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 10:57:33 -0500
To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

>On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 09:29:46AM -0500, gogins@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> Isn't the reason for this problems with X Windows and multiple windowing
>> toolkits on Unix/Linux?
>
>And for embedded systems and remote control, yes. Though it turns out that
>in general its not necesary to run different toolkits in different
>processes, with some provisoes.

to clarify: since we last talked about this on the GMPI list, various
LAD members, myself included, did some investigation of the new
XEmbed extension for X Window, which is supported by GTK and Qt, the
two major toolkits at this time. it turns out that its relatively
easy to embed windows from one toolkit in another window from another
toolkit. not trivial or without issues, as steve noted, but doable. i
think from GMPI's perspective, we should consider this issue
closed. it will end up being a platform specific area that "we"
(people pushing the edge on linux) will need to clean up the edges on
- GMPI can just assume that it works.

--p

http://mail2web.com/ .