[gmpi] Re: Reqs 3.6 and 3.7 (was Reqs section 3.6)

  • From: UV <u.wildner@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 20:10:54 +0100

Steve Harris wrote:

On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 04:49:48 +0100, UV wrote:

We rather think about providing an interface to the 2 parts which includes
automation data
and which also works remotely! I am not sure if OSC meets all requirements to do this but it seems to be
an interesting
approach.

From what I remmber OSC does sort this out - ports are described as paths,
e.g. /app1/gmpi/plugin1/cutoff

The integration of automation (parameter) and audio data streams should be considered. It is an important issue regarding overall performance of a distributed music system.
A setup where unbounded UDP data is transmitted during streaming data transfer over IP is
error prone and should be avoided. On a Firewire transport the audio streams and the automation streams could be assigned separate
isochronous channels. However, this is the only transport I know of which supports this.
Generally, the handling of mutliple parallel streams seems like an extra effort but it does not have to
be joined on the plugin interface side.
Just keeping in mind that the host might be required to do so should be enough for now.

I cant remmebr how the service discvery works though

I am currently using CORBA name services for the service discovery.
This is easy and  open source and running everywhere .....

- but in any case
just putting that GMPI must provide a way for external interface to work
with hosts is enough.