[gmpi] Re: Req 76,78

  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 11:23:08 -0500

>-Windows separates processes a lot to protect them & the system

yes, just like all unix-like operating systems have done for 30
years. this isn't news. you might (or might not) think its notable
that windows does this; those of use who have grown up on *nix don't
even blink an eye over this.

>-higher task switching time means more CPU wasted in the task switching,
>it's not a great thing neither like you seem to pretend. It's a tradeoff,
>and a good one under windows.

*nix-based operating systems for the x86 can context switch on a
contemporary processor in less than 10usecs (that includes a full
register switch, plus a TLB flush and MMU remapping; it doesn't
include the effects of the address space switch, which depends on
working set size and thus varies from no measurable effect to a very
significant effect). comparable times exist for OSX and Linux PPC on
the PPC architecture.

so, we have at least 3 existing architectures (linux/x86, osx/ppc and
linux/ppc) that are perfectly appropriate for running GUIs in a
separate process. we also have some evidence that windows can be
coerced into reasonable behaviour for this. and above all, we have the
point made by ron that this is not about forcing GUIs into a separate
process. its about requiring host-mediated DSP<->GUI communication so
that GUIs *can* be run in other processes under various
circumstances. can we just drop it now?

--p