[gmpi] Re: Req 76,78

  • From: "Angus F. Hewlett" <angus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 12:32:33 +0000

Steve Harris wrote:

On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 12:02:31 +0000, Angus F. Hewlett wrote:

OK.. I'm just thinking that we should be strongly discouraging novice developers from writing their own UI code unless they *absolutely* *need* *to*, there's so damn much you can break in subtle ways there.

IMHO it would do a lot for overall stability if we made it considerably more straightforward for newbies to use markup rather than writing GUI code... and having them supply markup as the basis of the UI at API-level might encourage that.

I agree FWIW, and not just newbies either, it can dramatically reduce the "time to market" for plugins if you can get non-programmers to do the UI layout.

I still dont think it should be a specified part of GMPI though.

Even though it will stop those 90% of plug-ins which could *easily* get by without custom UI code from containing any?

Cutting UI code out of all those plug-ins eliminates one *hell* of a lot of bug breeding space.

As such, IMHO markup-based UI should at least be an option at API level.

VST "Strings" style interface is not good enough - having some degree of layout makes a huge difference to usability once you have more than about four controls, and developer egos means everyone wants a skins interface.

GUI markup systems can be plugged in at any point by 3rd parties if the
API is specified correctly (not hard).

This is true... I can think of some interesting possibilities there regarding
plug-in GUI markup renderers, but that might overcomplicate things ;)

Regards,
        Angus.

Angus F. Hewlett, Managing Director (CEO)
FXpansion Audio UK Ltd - http://www.fxpansion.com
Registered in the UK - #4455834 - VAT: GB 798 7782 33