[gmpi] Re: Req 76,78

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 11:50:18 +0000

On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 12:28:43 +0100, Didier Dambrin wrote:

> >>But anyway, in all cases IMO separating GUI & process in different
> >>threads
> >>is the dumbest thing ever, at least under windows. Even for just knobs.
> >>It's almost as dumb as how knobs are working in VSTGUI.
> >
> >What evidence are you basing this somewhat inflamatory statement on?
> >
> >I have used this model in production code, and I can assure you that it is
> >not the "dumbest thing ever".
> >

> The evidence is that interprocess communication sucks & is not efficient,
> no one does that unless there's no other choice.  And that all it does is
> make coding a lot harder.

Thats not evidence, it's unjustified speculation. Your statement that "no
one does that unless there's no other choice" is frankly nonsense. Its
long been the technique of choice in high performance data visualisation
(think SGI), databases (everying more serious than Access) and large CAD
applications, to name a few.

> It might be very clever under OSX or linux, I have no idea. But it's
> totally not under windows.

I've run X11 servers under windows, and there not noticably slow. With
Microsoft selling Windows as a server OS, especailly for database apps,
I'd be very supprised if IPC performance were that bad.