[gmpi] Re: Req 76,78

  • From: "Paul Kellett" <paul.kellett@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 12:46:51 +0100

"Didier Dambrin" <didid@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

But what for audio? Plugins (effects or generators) that can show & play waveforms are not that rare. The GUI would need the waveform data to display it, and the process to play it.
Both can't share the same data, unless it's in an ugly memory-
mapped file. Will you be passing huge amounts of audio data
through the host?

When I asked this about Audio Units, the answer was that the
waveform data lives in the DSP part, and only the overview data
that gets displayed is passed.

Reasonable if you have to fit in with that way of working and
are starting from scratch, but not much fun if you already have
a self contained waveform display that calculates it's own overview from the data.

I don't even understand the goal.. having a GUI on another PC,
communicating with the other PC through a network? I just don't
get it.

For complex plug-ins there are other difficulties, like which PC
is the sample content on, and how do you show the user a file dialog to pick a file on the *other* PC?

Paul.