[gmpi] Re: Req 76,78

  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 13:39:01 -0500

>I just did a test running Bidule ReWired (IPC) using a terratec EWS88MT
>ASIO driver in the host at 64 sample buffer size @ 96 Khz (0.666667 ms)

Does anybody have any idea what the ratio is of rewired apps that have
use the IPC hack(s) that Angus mentioned and those that actually split
their DSP/GUI code apart?

>although this currently works in this scenario my gut feeling tells me
>it would scale well enough to support a chain of such IPCs.

i share that gut feeling, even for Linux and OSX. i'm actually pretty
impressed by the performance you found - i think linux and osx can
easily replicate that, but also couldn't run many JACK clients (the
obvious equivalent configuration) at those latencies. Maybe 2-4, but
probably no more.

however, notice that this actually has little to do with the issue at
hand, because nobody is suggesting that GMPI should use an
out-of-process model. your numbers do suggest, though, that IPC on
windows is certainly fast enough for people who do want to split the
DSP and GUI code; this has to be true, because IPC on windows appears
to be fast enough to even split the DSP code of several rewire clients
across multiple processes. That's a good thing to know.

--p