[gmpi] Re: +++ RESET +++ (was RE: a little order?)

  • From: "Russell Borogove" <kaleja@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 09:47:10 -0800

Mike Berry wrote:
> How about:
>
> 2. Kinds of plugins matrix:
>                        Audio Data     Event Data
> Requires Input
> Generates Output
>
> Any plugin should fill an X in at least one spot in this matrix.
> Standard audio processors would need input and output of audio, and
> input of events. Audio instruments might have input of events and output
> of audio. The host can then make the plugin available in the right
> situations based on the matrix answers.

I can conceive of legitimate reasons for a plugin to
have no X's in the matrix yet still want to be launched
within the host app. For example, maybe it's sending
high-level instructions to other plugins via a network
interfaceor the like. It's conceptually still part of
the DAW system, it just doesn't deal with those two
data streams.

-Borogove