[gmpi] Re: +++ RESET +++ (Levels of implementation)

  • From: Urs Heckmann <urs@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 09:18:59 +0100

Am Dienstag, 11.02.03, um 23:21 Uhr (Europe/Berlin) schrieb NoelBorthwick@xxxxxxxxxxxx:

Here is version 0.01 of the list:

I'd like to add to the design list the following:
One of the issues that came up in the MMA meeting was the idea of a "tiered
implementation model".
i.e. a host application or plugin vendor may choose to implement various
levels of the GMPI feature set depending on needs.
Clearly the full GMPI specification when its finally done could be fairly
large and daunting if one had to implement it in full at host or plugin
level to start out.
The spec should be designed in a way that permits a such a modular
implementation approach. A vendor may choose to start with Level 1 features
and progress to higher level features as desired.

This may help reduce the inertia in moving to the new model.

Noel

What I see is that we're currently not talking about a "Generalized" approach anymore. I think when I first heard of it, the idea was to provide an API that could be compiled to any existing "standard". Conditionally selected wrapper classes would map the functionality to that certain API during build phase.

To pick up the idea of "levels of implementation" I would suggest a scheme based on practical aspects:

Level1 API: Can be compiled to any existing standard

Level2 API: Still compatible to other standards (builds these), but means hosts have to import a little, freely provided API sub-package that offers GMPI's additional requirements (notification schemes, meta data, GUI-process separation etc.)

Level3 API: Pure GMPI plugin build, only tied to specific processor type and/or OS

This might be confusing though.

;) Urs