[gmpi] Re: +++ RESET +++ (Copy protection and copy right :-)

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 22:50:00 -0800 (PST)

> d. How to support all targeted platforms? Or how to reduce
>    the amount of support necessary?
>
> (Windows four+ CPU architectures; x86, x86-64, IA64, XScale,
>  Mac adds another one; PPC,
>  Linux and BSD are available on all and more...
>
> The answer can range from simple - with source,
>  via (Java / C#) bytecode, application (not OS) specific library format,
>  to the common answer; support only Windows XP on x86... )

I don't think we can reasonably expect a plugin to be binary compatible
across systems.

Write the DSP in C or C++.  Be strict about portability.  Compile the DSP
chunk for each platform.

Write the GUI in one of:
- XML (interpreted by host)
- bytecode (maybe - this seems kind of insane)
- portable C or C++ which relies on a robust UI layer

As soon as you venture outside the cross-platform API, you lose portability.

> Small plugin, easy to disassemble... Encrypted plugins?
> License files for each plugin / computer pair? HW assisted copy
> protection - dongles...

I'd much prefer to say - NO.  If you want to do this, it is up to you and
your plugin.  Realistically, though, what is the minimum set of features we
need to provide enough for people to (try to) solve the problem?

> But most important, and this is probably where we should start:
>
> 14. License for headers and host libraries/source?

LGPL - it works.