[gmpi] Re: +++ RESET +++ (Copy protection and copy right :-)

  • From: Roger Larsson <roger.larsson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 01:03:55 +0100

>11.  Packaging issues
> a. Base: Static object libraries
> b. O/S specific: dynamic libraries (sample code wrappers)
> c. As new platforms emerge, how to specify the packaging?

d. How to support all targeted platforms? Or how to reduce
   the amount of support necessary?

(Windows four+ CPU architectures; x86, x86-64, IA64, XScale,
 Mac adds another one; PPC,
 Linux and BSD are available on all and more...

The answer can range from simple - with source,
 via (Java / C#) bytecode, application (not OS) specific library format,
 to the common answer; support only Windows XP on x86... )

>13.  Copy protection
> a. Leave it to the plugin, but provide guidelines

Small plugin, easy to disassemble... Encrypted plugins?
License files for each plugin / computer pair? HW assisted copy
protection - dongles...

> b. Plugins need to be aware of DRM in the streams they process

[Probably best handled by the host]
b1. DRM aware plugins should not convert a stream to DRM just to be safe.
b2. DRM aware plugins on a non DRM capable host, should allow processing
    of non DRM streams.
d. How to sign OpenSource plugins?
=2D - -
q. How to convince the media industry that DRM is not the future? :-)

But most important, and this is probably where we should start:

14. License for headers and host libraries/source?

/RogerL

=2D-=20
Roger Larsson
Skellefte=E5