[gmpi] Re: R: Re: Topic 4: Host Interface

  • From: Bill Gardner <billg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 15:23:27 -0500

transport control has nothing to do with controlling the flow
graph.

I must be missing something. I have a very centralized view of the host as the master of timeline, data flow, and external I/O devices. The host is often the source of time ordered content such as sample data, musical events, automation. How can transport control (stop, rewind, play) not be related to controlling the data in the flow graph?

however, i think that any graph node can be the transport master.

In my centralized view, this could only happen if the host provides an interface for a plug to control the transport.

Bill

At 01:56 PM 3/27/03 -0500, you wrote:
>It seems to me that in Topic 2 plug-in flavors, we didn't raise the
>possibility of using GMPI to connect standalone applications. I'm not
>against this, but I think it's a new direction in the discussion.

not coming from me, that's for sure. i've made it clear that although
i think out-of-process connectivity is cool, i don't support it as
part of GMPI.

                                                                   If we
>restrict ourselves to plug-ins in the classic sense, then the "master" is
>implicitly the host, i.e. the application that creates and destroys the
>plug-in. The plug-in can query the master for different interfaces to do
>different tasks (gosh is this sounding too much like DirectX?). A plug in
>the classic sense would not be able to control data flow in the graph, so
>it would never have a transport control for example. If we want something
>like this, maybe we should lose the "P" in GMPI :-)

transport control has nothing to do with controlling the flow
graph. thats why i responded to ron's message in the way i
did. transport control determines what transport-aware nodes do when
they are executed. it does not control when they are executed or in
what order: that's the job of the host.

however, i think that any graph node can be the transport master.

---------------------- Bill Gardner Wave Arts, Inc. 99 Mass. Ave., Arlington, MA 02474 Tel: 781-646-3794 Fax: 781-646-7190 billg@xxxxxxxxxxxx