[gmpi] Re: R: Re: Topic 4: Host Interface

  • From: "David Viens" <davidv@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 10:34:57 -0500

Hello all

>Plug-ins can advertise their ability to be transport masters, and their
>requirement for receiving transport information. It's up to the host to do
>what it likes with that.

There is still one fussy issue with that paradigm for us,
and i hope we all find a good solution for this in GMPI.

While we were implementing the passing of VstTimeInfo from plugin
to host in Bidule, we've arrived at the conclusion that if we wanted all slaves
to receive their TimeInfo from their masters at the _same time_ as other slaves
in a certain  host audio callback timeslice(t), we needed the masters to output
their TimeInfo at the end of timeslice (t-1), and not in the middle of (t).

(i wish i had a blackboard to explain this :)

The other possibility was to have all masters called before every other plugin
so that masters could generate their TimeInfo at the _start_ of (t).
But then the question arose: what about if a master requires
audio/midi/(whatnot) input in order to generate its TimeInfo!
Should the host add a delay of one timeslice for that master's input data?

Ive asked that same question on vst-mailing list, but got no answers,
Obviously, since we were the only ones interested in that feature,
its pretty understandable...

We are thrilled to see GMPI is interrested in that paradigm!

Cheers
David Viens, Software developer,
Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
http://www.plogue.com