[gmpi] Re: R: Re: Topic 4: Host Interface

  • From: "Angus F. Hewlett" <amulet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 07:20:53 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003, Bill Gardner wrote:

> I must be missing something. I have a very centralized view of the host as
> the master of timeline, data flow, and external I/O devices. The host is
> often the source of time ordered content such as sample data, musical
> events, automation. How can transport control (stop, rewind, play) not be
> related to controlling the data in the flow graph?

Simple, obvious, example: in Cubase VST, the "graph" (really just the
audio engine and a MIDI front-end) is running even when the transport is
stopped. It's easy to envisage a Reaktor-style environment where there
may be several different transport masters existing within a single
synchronous signal flow graph.

> In my centralized view, this could only happen if the host provides an
> interface for a plug to control the transport.

Plug-ins can advertise their ability to be transport masters, and their
requirement for receiving transport information. It's up to the host to do
what it likes with that.

Regards,
        Angus.