[gmpi] Re: R: Re: Topic 1: Audience for and users of plugins

  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 14:20:28 -0500

>It's hard to really tell which way the conversation is heading at this
>point, towards a strong audio-vs-"music" dichotomy or not.

nobody is suggesting that. i started to respond to this simply because
i thought that Ron's enumeration of possible plugin types was too
restrictive.

>I would like to voice strong support for NOT differentiating "kinds" of
>plug-ins, especially if the terms are "audio" and "music", which rightly
>overlap one another.
>Rather plug-ins should simply be typed data in/typed data out, I believe
>this has already been suggested.

yes, this is what i was saying. the problem is that we need to specify
what kinds of data, because otherwise the door is left open to
gray areas like video-driven audio synthesis.

>Consider a pitch-detector: audio in, frequency (floating-point #) out.
>This also doesn't preclude audio in, video out, btw.

GMPI, as i am understanding it, does not intend to support any kind of
data except audio (in 1 or more forms of encoding) or music (in 1 or
more forms of encoding).

--p