[gmpi] Re: R: Re: Topic 1: Audience for and users of plugins

  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 13:40:37 -0500

>Do not make sense to me doing differentiation between types of plugins..

Actually, that's what I am trying to avoid.

Ron's list focused on the nature of the transformation (Audio->Audio,
Music->Audio, etc.) and I think we agree that this is the wrong
"dimension" to think about this in.

I prefer to focus on the whether a plugin is considered to be a source
of a certain kind of data and whether it can also be a sink of a
certain kind of data. We are only considering audio + music data (no
video, for example), so when describing a given plugin, we have a 2 x
2 matrix:

                    INPUTS

               Audio     Music

  U  Audio
  T  Music

There are many combinations possible, and I think GMPI should support
all of them except (probably) a plugin with no input and no output :)

Common forms would be:

       MIDI-driven synthesis: Input: { Music } Output: { Audio }
            Audio processing: Input: { Audio, Music } Output: { Audio }
             MIDI processing: Input: { Music } Output: { Music }

etc.

The point is that we are trying to define a goal for GMPI, and the
goal needs to be clearly stated. I believe the goal is not to exclude
any potential plugin that can be described by this 2x2 matrix.

--p