[gmpi] Re: R: Re: Topic 1: Audience for and users of plugins

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 13:52:34 +0000

On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 09:21:46 -0500, Angus F. Hewlett wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Feb 2003, Asnaghi Lucio wrote:
>
> > Yeah, i think gmpi should support all way of handling datatype, i say,
> > it will supports natively floating points arithmetic but when there is
> > some other need ( cause hardware/host is supporting some others ) just
> > let the host know what type of datatype the plugin is actually handling
> > and returning. Then the host will decide how to handle it correctly.
>
> Quite agree. Datatype should not even be an issue in the global GMPI
> spec.. simply allow plugs to declare what formats are supported. This
> includes compressed data... a smart host will be able to format-negotiate
> with whatever the plugin wants, as per DirectShow.

I strongly disagree with this. I think that simplicity requires that audio
(and music for that matter) data is stricly defined. Remeber, simplicity
applies to hosts too. However this is off-topic, so I wont discuss it
further for now.

> > I agree with you steve. Simplicity is one of the keys, but this not
> > means simplifying things in implementation, just simplify its usability
> > from the end-user/programmer side.
>
> Simplicity can be accomplished at SDK level.. however, it is important
> that resources are devoted to this - it took YEARS for a DirectX plugin
> SDK that could be called "easy" to emerge (thanks Cakewalk!)

I dont think that an complex SDK wth a simple API covering a complex
underlying system really counts as simplicity. You will end up with
systems that are extremely hard to debug and understand at a low level.

LADSPA, which has to be the simplest plugin API is defined purely with a
.h file (containing a few helper macros for hosts), there is no real SDK
and it doesn't need one. I doubt that something like GMPI could
succesfully be defined without an SDK, but it doesn't require a monsterous
one either.

- Steve