[gmpi] Re: R: Re: Topic 1: Audience for and users of plugins

  • From: "Angus F. Hewlett" <amulet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 09:21:46 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 14 Feb 2003, Asnaghi Lucio wrote:

> Yeah, i think gmpi should support all way of handling datatype, i say,
> it will supports natively floating points arithmetic but when there is
> some other need ( cause hardware/host is supporting some others ) just
> let the host know what type of datatype the plugin is actually handling
> and returning. Then the host will decide how to handle it correctly.

Quite agree. Datatype should not even be an issue in the global GMPI
spec.. simply allow plugs to declare what formats are supported. This
includes compressed data... a smart host will be able to format-negotiate
with whatever the plugin wants, as per DirectShow.

> I agree with you steve. Simplicity is one of the keys, but this not
> means simplifying things in implementation, just simplify its usability
> from the end-user/programmer side.

Simplicity can be accomplished at SDK level.. however, it is important
that resources are devoted to this - it took YEARS for a DirectX plugin
SDK that could be called "easy" to emerge (thanks Cakewalk!)

Regards,
        Angus.