[gmpi] Re: Parameters / controls / GMPI event system - refreshment

  • From: Jeff McClintock <jeffmcc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2005 08:46:58 +1300

>>Isn't the easiest solution to re-use a VID?
>>
>>Note-On VID 0  G4
>>Note-On VID 0  G4
>>Note-On VID 0  G4
>>Note-On VID 0  G4
>

> Again, this solves *this* problem but breaks the truly polyphonic mode of
> operation.  How do you reconcile that?

I'm saying the point of VID is that they give the *sender* the choice:

This score requires a solo trumpet...

Note-on VID 0  G4
Note-on VID 0  G4
Note-on VID 0  A4

This score requires a trumpet trio

Note-on VID 0  G4
Note-on VID 1  G4
Note-on VID 2  A4

Same patch, same notes, different *intention*.

There is no heuristic, no possible way the plugin can 2nd guess the composer with your "every note a new VID" suggestion.

Yes I agree, a piano patch, fed a non-challenging score could figure out which voices to allocate.
A guitar however can't, each string supports an overlapping range of pitches, each string is independently bendable, power-chords deliberately use the same pitch on two strings.

A guitar-synth needs explicit help allocating pitches to the correct string...

again..

This is a lead guitar line on the top string...

Note-on VID 0  G4
Note-on VID 0  G4
Note-on VID 0  A4

This is a strummed chord....

Note-on VID 0  G4
Note-on VID 1  G4
Note-on VID 2  A4

same notes, same patch, different musical intention.

The patch can not itself do the allocating, the *sender* has to. (sending being the controller or the score/host).

Now, I appologise, I keep harping on about keyboard-style VVID allocation. But I should have said:

The musician can switch-off keyboard-style VVID allocation.

He should have a range of possible VVID assignments schemes including:
-keyboards score mode
-solo score
-one-voice-per-note-in-the-score-mode

etc.

Solo mode is the easiest to grasp -  Every note sent on VVID=0

one-voice-per-note-in-the-score-mode also easy, that's your fave.

keyboards score mode - Every pitch in the score has a unique VID, sending the same pitch twice re-uses the previous VVID.

plus a mode for guitarists. Not easy to auto-assign any old score to a guitar synth. Perhaps the score would need manual 'hinting' But it would involve 6 VVID total, one per string.

ALL GMPI synths should respond the same simple way: -new VVID = assign new real-voice -re-used VVID = re-use real voice (internal voice limit allowing)

That's my take anyway.

Jeff

thockin@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Sat, Dec 03, 2005 at 06:56:41PM +1300, Jeff McClintock wrote:

floorf(pitch) on the 2nd note to determinin which (real) voice to steal.

What if I'm using a micro-tonal scale with say 24 pitches per octave ( 0.5 semitones per key).

Won't your scheme steal the wrong voice?

It might, but if you are using a microtonal scale you sould have to
substitute your own function for floorf() to round to the nearest pitch.

Isn't the easiest solution to re-use a VID?

Note-On VID 0  G4
Note-On VID 0  G4
Note-On VID 0  G4
Note-On VID 0  G4

Again, this solves *this* problem but breaks the truly polyphonic mode of
operation.  How do you reconsile that?

Tomorrow I'll get a better animation of what I mean, and I think you'll
all say "oh! that's what he meant."

Tim