[gmpi] Re: Parameters / controls / GMPI event system - refreshment

  • From: thockin@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 15:55:00 -0800

On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 11:44:56AM +1300, Jeff McClintock wrote:
> Why not allow the musician to choose the VVID assignment scheme from a
> selection?

If you are going to let the musician decide that, it's a host feature, not
a spec requirement, right?  The underlying mechanism is that your plugin
has to be able to handle each voice on a new VVID. You might not get each
voice on a new VVID, but you might.

So that's fine with me.  That's the core model I was advocating.  Each
plugin can decide what to do internally, and the host can decide what it
wants to send.

> Rather than have each plugin implement a fixed scheme, or a limited

Plugins will still implement a scheme of their choosing, and I think they
should - they know best what they want to do.  Maximally flexible synths
won't, but some - like simple e-pianos - will.

Tim