[gmpi] OT: other stuff

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 16:11:54 -0700 (PDT)

> BTW, even if we do take the enumeration route, we will need to allow the
> plug-in's various logical data ports to support different encodings,
> otherwise conversion objects will not be possible. However, I figure we

or conversion objects become the domain of the host.  Or we go the simplest
of all routes, and not support mixed datatypes.  Or you can do mixed
datatypes purely inside a wrapper that has native type I/O externally and
whatever internally.

> time, unless people are wanting plugs that can dynamically reconfigure
> their I/O without reinstantiating..? DXi can do this, and even VST "sort
> of" can, but I'm inclined to think it will add too much complication for
> the amount of usefulness it brings. Thoughts?

Some dynamism is good.  The idea that I had for XAp was something like
'module definitions' where each 'module' is a combination of some data and
control I/Os.  Plugins can define modules, and then load them as needed.

A mixer could define 'mono strip', 'stereo strip' and '5.1 strip' modules.
when the host wanted to connect a 5.1 to the mixer, it would add a new 5.1
strip (thereby adding a new 5.1 data I/O and some controls).

Multi-timbral synths could be similar by having a master module, an I/O
module and N control modules.

Since we're already OT, thoughts?