[gmpi] Re: [OT] meter representation

  • From: "Frederick Umminger" <Frederick_Umminger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 16:50:26 -0700

Paul,

I know that rhythm does not equal meter. But 3+3+2 is not the rhythm of rumba,
it is in fact the (compound) meter. Exactly as 2+2+2, but not 3+3, is the
(compound) meter of waltz. Meter is the repetitive tendency for notes in
certain positions to be stressed or unstressed or form groupings, usually at
several levels of heirarchy. The rhythm is not the tendency, but what actually
is performed. Only in very boring music does the rhythm always match the meter.

Possibly this is just a difference in semantics. I am using "meter" in the
sense of "metrical structure".

To address some specific points:

A/B is in fact not a descriptor of the temporal divisions in music, at least
not an accurate one. The temporal division of waltz is 2+2+2. It really is. And
it really is not 3+3. To perform a waltz in a 3+3 division would be wrong, it
would be a butchery of the music, and would probably completely undanceable.
This is not captured in A/B notation.

A/B is, however, a descriptor of the temporal divisions in music notation. It
tells you what represents one beat, and it tells you how often the bar lines
are going to appear to help you not lose your place. A music program that is
going to produce traditional notation needs to know these things. Plugins,
however, do not.

To ask a plugin to derive the meter from a score, as human musicians do, is to
ask it to perform an incredibly difficult task of artificial intelligence. To
ask it to derive the meter from cultural knowledge, the way human musicians do
("I know the next piece is a samba"), is to simply ask it to do the impossible.

The score does not in fact represent the meter well, precisely because only in
very boring music do the instruments slavishly follow the meter. Even in
musical genres in which there is a rhythm section whose primary purpose is
simply to mark the meter there will be fills and syncopations and
improvisations in the rhythm section instruments.

I don't think A/B really provides the musician with much useful information
beyond which note value equals one beat. From A/B one cannot tell the length of
the dominant metrical cycle, which may be longer, or possibly even shorter,
than one measure. One also cannot reliably tell what the note value of the
tactus is, or which beats of the measure are accented, or by how much. One
cannot tell which beats are grouped, or which beats are swung. It tells you
almost nothing that you need to know in order to respect the metrical feel of
the music.

-Frederick Umminger