[gmpi] Re: OT Re: using another plugin API

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 12:29:34 +0100

On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 07:16:36 -0400, Angus F. Hewlett wrote:
> > I'm not sure theres even enough experience of 2nd generation systems like
> > AU to know where to start on the next generation.
>
> 2nd generation systems have been in existence since spring '99, and some
> of us have been working with them pretty much every day since then.

AU? Or are you refering to VST2? I'm not sure I agree that VST2 is 2nd
generation, IIUC it shares many of the same features of VST, and is more
like an interation.

If you've been using VST2 and AU since '99 then I'd agree that there
problably is enough experience.

> > Certainly my aim for the outout of this process are a decent, workable,
> > but above all open and Free plugin specification.
>
> Without wanting to get massively OT or spark a political war, how
> would you define Free in this case? I think we can all agree on:-

I was using Free in the sense that it was (loosly) defined in the agenda.

I agree thats its a bit of a minefield, but can we agree that none of the
existing windows or macos plugin systems are free and move on ;)