[gmpi] Re: [OT] Re: Topic 7.1: Channel Formats / XML, Profiles

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 21:06:17 +0100

On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 03:46:00 -0400, Angus F. Hewlett wrote:
> > Why? The opposite seems true to me. eg. when you have a mutiplier
> > (ringmod) module and you only have one input connected you want the
> > unconnected one to conceptually float at 1.0, but you definatly dont want
> > the thing to refuse to process.
>
> Yeah, but those would clearly be two seperate ports on a ring modulator
> (which, on some versions of the ringmod, could themselves be stereo).

OK, so whats an example of when it would help? NB in modular synths its
common to use <N channels of an N channel module, for future expansion so
you dont have to remove it and add a bigger module later.

> > > That varies on a case by case basis, and if someone has written a whole
> > > suite of SSE-optimized smallscale modules for a modular GMPI environment,
> > > it would be nice, although NOT essential, to be able to let those modules
> > > talk in their native format.
>
> > I find it hard to believe that such a hypothetical library would (only)
> > work on interleaved data. There are too many cases where thats obviously
> > sub-optimal - such as the common 5.1 case.
>
> I didn't say it -only- would. But it seems like a potentially useful
> optimization for the much more common stereo case.

For stereo, the mono-buffer SIMD optimisation seems much better, you get
the cache prefetch optimisation (processing one buffer while the other is
being fetched) and the code is not so dependent on the number of connected
inputs.