[gmpi] Re: [OT] Re: Topic 7.1: Channel Formats / XML, Profiles

  • From: "Angus F. Hewlett" <amulet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 15:46:00 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 9 Jun 2003, Steve Harris wrote:

> > OK, "needs" is a bit strong, but I feel that it makes life much easier for
> > both the plugin developer and the end-user if we have a grouping system.

> Why? The opposite seems true to me. eg. when you have a mutiplier
> (ringmod) module and you only have one input connected you want the
> unconnected one to conceptually float at 1.0, but you definatly dont want
> the thing to refuse to process.

Yeah, but those would clearly be two seperate ports on a ring modulator
(which, on some versions of the ringmod, could themselves be stereo).

> > > BTW I've been using port to mean something different, but I think we're
> > > understanding each other.
> >
> > By port (in the audio context) I mean a group of mono streams.
>
> I was using port to mean an i/o of some kind. Its LADSPA terminology,
> I should probably avoid it, its nearly as misleading as 'pin'.

OK.. it's a logical group of i/o streams. In the ring mod case above, the
carrier and modulator are not part of a group, it's obvious that you want
to wire them seperately.

> > That varies on a case by case basis, and if someone has written a whole
> > suite of SSE-optimized smallscale modules for a modular GMPI environment,
> > it would be nice, although NOT essential, to be able to let those modules
> > talk in their native format.

> I find it hard to believe that such a hypothetical library would (only)
> work on interleaved data. There are too many cases where thats obviously
> sub-optimal - such as the common 5.1 case.

I didn't say it -only- would. But it seems like a potentially useful
optimization for the much more common stereo case.

Regards,
        Angus.