[gmpi] [OT] Re: Re: Reqs 3.9. Time - opening arguments

  • From: "Koen Tanghe" <koen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 12:22:56 +0100

On Tuesday, February 03, 2004 3:00 AM [GMT+1=CET],
Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Sending a tempo of 0 can cause some plugins to
>>> crash (divide-by-zero).
>>
>> New Requirement: GMPI plugs must be able to handle all advertised
>> parameter values without crashing.  (No, no idea how to force this.)
>
> somebody cooked up a little program called "demolition" for LADSPA
> plugins that puts them through a torture test. just an idea, not sure
> who would do it. with GMPI, it could be a condition of being a "GMPI
> compatible plugin".

I remember some of our beta testers testing the plugins in a modular host
where they hook up each and every parameter to a randomizer that switches
settings a several times per second, and lets this run for a couple of
hours. You won't get an exhaustive test, but you can be sure that many more
parameter settings will be tested than one could ever do by hand.
Of course, I realize that especially the extreme settings ("boundary
conditions") are the ones that could potentially lead to problems/crashes,
so one still needs to check these manually.

But we'll return to issues about plugin validation ("GMPI conformness
testing") later I guess.

Koen