[gmpi] Re: Next-Topic

  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 06:55:53 -0500

>> > - We sure want provide audio, midi dataflows, but what about providing a
>> > musical data type for controlling parameters ?
>>
>> Do we? I certinaly have little interest in MIDI dataflows (if you mean
>> midi bytes), I dont think it belongs in a plugin API. c.f. VST.
>
>I do. MIDI is standard and widely used. I think it is important that it is
>supported.

first of all this, this is not on-topic (including my reply).

but secondly, maybe you didn't see earlier discussions. nobody is
proposing that there be no support for MIDI in a GMPI *system*. the
point is that many people have expressed a distaste for having such a
limiting protocol be built into the API, and so at this point in the
discussion, we are attempting to talk about "music data" as a generic
way to refer to something that does what MIDI does. even if GMPI
eventually does not use MIDI for "music data" (Perry Cook's SKINI
would be an alternative, for example), i think you can be sure there
will be a gateway so that MIDI in and out works just the way you'd
expect. its just that when a plugin is dealing with "music data" it
may (or may not) be dealing with something other than the MIDI
protocol.

this discussion has not taken place yet and is not slated to happen
for some time.

--p