[gmpi] Re: New Reqs 3.8 - Events

  • From: "Jeff McClintock" <jeffmcc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 10:46:40 +1300

Hi All,

> As I have been attempting to point out, musicians will NOT tolerate
> approximation of piecewise continous functions of time with a few
> dozen ramps.

I suspect you're assuming one ramp per buffer.  I was assuming potentially
many tempo events per buffer.

Even a complex curve can be closely approximated with very short ramps (1ms)
. Hell, a perfectionist could send a tempo event on every single sample.

  The truth is many songs stick to one tempo.  Some songs switch tempo
abbruptly at various points, and some songs ramp the tempo gradually over a
bar or two.  All of these cases are easily handled by ramps.

  Sure, experimental music may perform radical tempo changes,  but
considering we are proposing tempo changes can be sent sample-accurate, as
often as one per sample, a ramped approach can simulate any curve to
whatever accuracy you specify?
  I have a gut feeling, as someone said, that splines might be a headache
when it comes to breaking them down into buffer-sized bites.
  I would propose that tempo map be stored as a spline, but transmitted as a
series of (very short) ramps.

Best Regards,
Jeff