[gmpi] Re: New Reqs 3.8 - Events

  • From: RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 10:34:08 -0500

This is sounding great, but I've got one question.  You wrote:

[a] GMPI shall support tempo maps, to be provided to plugins as one
polynomial spline per sample buffer, one such tempo map per channel or group
of channels.

[b] GMPI shall provide an API to plugins for converting from music time on a
tempo map to sample frame position, and vice versa.

[c] GMPI shall provide an API to plugins for creating and destroying tempo
maps, getting and setting tempo maps by identifier, and getting and setting
the elements of tempo maps.

<<<

If we have [b], we do we need [a]?  To me [a] suggests that as a host I'll
need to always fabricate splines for the plugin.  I'd much rather expose an
API to my tempo map, and let the plugin do time conversions via [b].

If we do [b], we could also consider the idea of multiple tempo map(s).
Conversions are done with a tempo map ID kind of idea.  But I think that is
implied by [c].

Also, [c] suggests that a plugin might be possibly holding/caching a tempo
map.  This feels like a bad idea to me.  The host should own the tempo map,
even though we let the plugin create it if needs to.

So maybe a more succinct statement of the requirement is:

[a] GMPI shall provide an API to plugins for creating and destroying tempo
maps, getting and setting tempo maps by identifier, and getting and setting
the elements of tempo maps.

[b] Plugins cannot cache tempo maps.  They can cache tempo map identifiers,
for use in various tempo APIs.

[c] GMPI shall provide an API to plugins for converting from music time on a
tempo map (ID) to sample frame position, and vice versa.