[gmpi] Re: New Reqs 3.8 - Events

  • From: David Olofson <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 20:30:57 +0100

On Friday 19 December 2003 03.34, Michael Gogins wrote:
> I think the host would need to know, and the plugins would like to
> know, the sample frame counting from 0 as start of performance to
> the first sample frame of the current buffer. Then it would make
> sense for events to be timestamped as an offset from that value.
> Adding the two would give the exact time in sample frames of the
> event counting from start of performance.

Note that you won't be able to count on 0 meaning anything more than
"the start of something". Hosts that keep audio running at all time
will simply start counting when you first start the host, and won't
stop or reset until you restart the host, reinit the audio subsystem
or something.

Indeed, it doesn't *have* to work like this (a host could use song
related audio time), but if it doesn't, plugins will have serious
trouble figuring out correct timestamps for events while the host
messes with the timestamp counter.