[gmpi] Re: NAMM follow-up, some major decisions to make

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 15:59:40 -0800

On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 03:34:07PM -0800, Tom White wrote:
> Perhaps taking proposals from outside of MMA will be necessary for
> GMPI, but MMA members could still manage the process and make the
> final decision about what goes into the spec. To be enforceable, MMA

This is pretty much what I was saying.  The spec and core API are the
MMAs, and changes to those go through the MMA.  However, those changes
might be requested by non-MMA users of GMPI (such as weekend DSP
hacks who are making the next cool synth) or MMA members.  The source of
a change request or RFE does not matter.

> same situation with the reference code: people could be free to use
> it and change it, but changes which get implemented as "GMPI" must be
> approved by MMA (and if not, then just don't call the result GMPI).

Yes - the reference implementation can be submitted for a stamp of
approval.

> But this is just my thought.. I don't speak for MMA at the moment <g>.

I think we're converging.  What is a large question in my mind now is
this.  If we stood in front of that same room of people and proposed
this, what would the results be?

I don't the main detractors would be changing their tune much.  They
still don't have an obviosu short-term benefit from it.  They still
don't get to control it.  They still would have to do work to adopt it.
That doesn't mean we should not do it, just that this positioning does
not really change much.

Tim